Message from the President
Welcome to the Philippine Life Insurance Association, Inc. (PLIA) website.
PLIA is the umbrella organization of all life insurance companies operating in the Philippines. It has been in existence for 63 years now.
The life insurance industry is engaged in providing financial security as well as savings and investment instruments for the Filipino individuals and their families. It is an active contributor to the country’s social and national development through its significant investments in government bonds and securities; the insurance and corporate taxes that it adds to the national coffers; and the Corporate Social Responsibility programs that it undertakes.
Our industry has been endeavoring to increase the awareness of the public about the services and benefits of life insurance, as we believe that a well-informed insuring public is one key dependency to enabling significant improvement in the insurance penetration rate in the country.
We hope that the PLIA website will be able to provide you some fundamental information about the Philippine life insurance industry and the financial preparedness that its products and services can provide.
EVELYN T. CARADA
Corporate Purpose of PLIA
It shall be the objective and purpose of this Association to promote the growth of the life insurance industry in the Philippines so that it could expand its contribution to the socioeconomic development of the nation; and pursuing this objective, it shall undertake:
- To propagate and spread the concept, principles and benefits of life insurance, and to this end conduct educational campaigns, training seminars, workshops, conferences and lectures;
- To develop and implement through its members ethical norms for underwriting and management of life insurance;
- To serve as a forum for exchanging ideas and information; and for clarifying and harmonizing conflicting views on matters of concern to the life insurance industry in general and the member companies in particular;
- To act as the vehicle through which problems and issues common to the life insurance industry in general may be threshed out, determined and resolved in the interest of all the member companies;
- To serve as liaison with national, regional and international organizations and agencies, both governmental and non-governmental, concerned with the development, improvement and supervision of life insurance institutions;
- To promote goodwill, cooperation and understanding among the officers and staff of the member companies.
Insurers Show Support for Sustainable Insurance
Top executives from Philippine insurance companies recently came together under the banner of sustainable insurance being promoted by the United Nations.
Members of the Philippine Insurers and Reinsurers Association (PIRA) and the Philippine Life Insurance Association (PLIA) joined hands to hold the Philippine launch of the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), a global roadmap that promotes environmental, social and governance best practices, on April 25, 2013 at the Hotel Intercontinental Manila.
The event was co-presented by the Insurance Commission, PIRA, PLIA and the Insurance Institute for Asia and the Pacific.
Mr. Butch Bacani, Programme Leader of the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI), presented the Principles and their importance to the Philippine insurance industry.
The Principles were first introduced in Rio de Janeiro during the Rio+20 Conference in 2012 and have already been adopted by 50 organizations in 20 countries.
Each company representative in the event individually signed a “Pledge of Support” to the PSI which were collected and handed over to Mr. Butch Bacani.
Click below to view images