The Foundation for the Advancement of Life and Insurance Around the World (FALIA) and the Philippine Life Insurance Association, Inc. (PLIA) collaborated on a project titled “Essay Writing Contest for Filipino Senior High School Students on the Importance of Life Insurance”. A media launch of the contest was done on 28 September 2016 at the Insurance Institute for Asia and the Pacific. The awarding ceremony was held on 18 April 2017 at the I’M Hotel, Makati Avenue corner Kalayaan Avenue, Makati City.
[A] The rules that governed the contest are as follows:
The contest is open to Filipino citizens enrolled as senior high school students in SY2016-2017 in one of the schools selected for the pilot program.
Achieving a Happy Life through Effective Financial Planning and Insurance
- How does life insurance strengthen the foundation of my family?
- How does life insurance help an individual attain his/her life and financial goals?
- How does life insurance contribute to an individual’s economic well-being?
- Students who are interested to submit an essay must attend the lecture organized in the school or view the materials and videos provided in the website knowledgecommunity.ph.
- All essays must be written in English, typewritten in black ink using Arial, font size 11, double-spaced and must not go beyond three (3) pages of short bond paper.
- Each essay must be submitted with an Entry Form that can be found in knowledgecommunity.ph. Any entry without the Entry Form, which includes a certification by their teacher/principal that the entry is an original, unpublished work, will be disqualified.
- Only one entry per student every year is allowed. Each entry must be the work of only one student. The student must properly acknowledge and cite all sources.
- Essay entries must be original and unpublished. The copyright for all winning entries will be assigned to the contest organizers. Participants agree to allow the contest organizers, FALIA, PLIA and KCI to use their names, photographs and essays for promotional and publicity purposes.
- Any essay found to be plagiarized will be automatically disqualified and the student will be prohibited from entering any future competitions.
- By entering the competition, participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the contest organizers.
Organization of thoughts and flow of discussion 20%
Style (originality, creativity, sentence structure, word choice, audience recognition) 20%
Mechanics (grammar, spelling, punctuation) 10%
Three (3) Grand Prize winners and their school academic coordinator or principal will receive an all-expenses paid trip to Japan plus a P10,000 cash prize for each student.
Three (3) Second Place Winners will each be awarded PhP30,000 each.
Ten (10) Third Place Winners will receive P10,000 each.